Physician Associate - split post
NHS AfC: Band 7
Physicians Associate Band 7, 37.5 hours per week
We are pleased to offer four preceptorship Physician Associate (PA) posts; all posts are split 50/50 between Speciality Medicine at The Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle and Eden or Workington Primary Care Networks (PCN).
These are exciting roles for newly qualified PAs, offering the opportunity to work within both primary and secondary care. It will allow you to develop your clinical knowledge, skills and experience in both areas. This will provide you with unique understanding of the patient journey in both primary and secondary care setting. You will gain highly valuable understanding of how the MDT works across both these settings and understanding of the most appropriate management strategies and referral pathways for your patients.
Main duties of the job
These posts are split posts working between The Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle and the Primary Care Network in either Eden or Workington
Within NCIC, the successful post holder will be required to utilise advanced clinical decision making and clinical skills to effectively manage patients within a medical speciality. The Physicians Associate role is pivotal within both medical and nursing teams, helping to coordinate, communicate and deliver clinical care on a day to day basis.
Within Eden PCN, this role offers the unique opportunity to be embedded within the PCN Frailty team, where you will work alongside the MDT of physiotherapists, nurse practitioners, paramedics, HCAs, Pharmacists and OTs.
Within Workington PCN, the post holder will work both within a GP surgery to delivery acute and chronic disease management as well as delivering proactive and preventative medicine for patients in care homes.
Working for our organisation
At NCIC, we have an ambition to deliver outstanding hospital and health services to half a million people. Established on 1st October 2019, the Trust is creating a centre of excellence in providing rural and remote healthcare and provides a wide range of community and acute services throughout north Cumbria and beyond. We’re responsible for delivering over 70 services across 15 main locations and we employ more than 6,500 members of staff.
Our 5 key principles demonstrate our belief in the delivery of ‘safe, high quality care every time’.
- Being a clinically led organisation
- Quality and safety at the heart
- A positive patient experience every time
- A great place to work
- Managing our money wel
As an organisation we are serious about supporting a diverse workforce that reflects our local community and are very much focused on being an inclusive and compassionate place to work.
Across the North East and North Cumbria we are working together to deliver our ambition to be the greenest region in England by 2030. There is an expectation for all staff to support this by familiarising yourself with the Trust’s sustainability initiatives such as waste and recycling, going paperless, videoconferencing, sustainable transport and others.
We encourage you to think about what you can do as an individual and within your team to contribute in to embedding carbon reduction into the everyday running of our organisation.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please see attached Job description and person specification for further information regarding the role and the essential and desirable criteria required to be met by applicants.
Relocation assistance may be available for successful applicants moving to the region for certain posts. Please see our Policy for eligible vacancies
- Please ensure that you document evidence of meeting all the essential criteria in the supporting information.
- If sufficient response is received this post could be closed earlier than the specified closing date, please apply as soon as possible to ensure that your application is considered.
Candidates who have been successfully shortlisted for interview will be asked via an email notification to log on to their Trac account to select an interview time. This will usually be within 2 weeks of the closing date.
For candidates applying using a Hotmail account or have strict firewall settings please ensure the following:
- Junk Mail is checked regularly
Disclosure and Barring Service:
On 28 November 2020, the new Disclosure and Barring Service filtering rules will come into effect.
The changes mean that:
- youth cautions, reprimands and final warnings will no longer be subject to automatic disclosure
- the multiple conviction rule has been removed, meaning that if an individual has more than one conviction, regardless of offence type or time passed, each conviction will be considered against the remaining rules individually, rather than being automatically disclosed.
If you are unsure about whether you need to disclose certain criminal record information, free confidential advice may be sought from one of the charity bodies listed below. These bodies can advise you on what you are legally required to declare and may also be able to advise you on how you can disclose criminal record information to a prospective employer and your legal rights when doing so.
Nacro – Tel: 0300 123 1999, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unlock – Tel: 01634 247350, email email@example.com or complete the online form on the Unlock website
The Trust is committed to safeguarding adults and children therefore if the post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (as amended) the successful candidate(s) will be subject to a criminal records check with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). The cost of the DBS must be met by the successful candidate(s) through salary deduction. DBS charges are as follows if applicable to the post:
Standard Check: £18 + Administration cost of £3.85 = £21.85. Deducted at £6.85 from 1st month salary and £5 deducted from salary over following 3 months.
Enhanced Check: £38 + administration cost of £3.90 = £41.90. Deducted at £11.90 from 1st month salary and £10 deducted from salary over following 3 months.
As part of the one of the largest employers in the UK NCIC future employees will have also access to the following benefits.
A lease car may be available for this position; further details will be provided upon appointment if applicable.
27 day holiday scheme rising to 33 after 10 years
Flexible working Scheme
Excellent opportunities for development
Competitive NHS Pension scheme
Access to NHS discounts with retailers and leisure companies
EAP (Employee Assistance Programme) a free, confidential counselling and information service to assist with personal or work-related problems
These schemes are subject to availability
- BA/BSc Degree prior to undertaking PA programme ••Registration with the UK Managed Voluntary Registry for physician associates •Short courses including the above to Masters level or equivalent
- PG Dip in Physician Assistant Studies from a UK training programme (or equivalent)
- Registration with the UK Managed Voluntary Registry for physician associates
- Member of faculty of Physician Associates (FPA)
- BLS/ILS /PILS/ALS certification Teaching qualification Member of UKAPA
- Short courses to Masters level or equivalent
Knowledge and Experience
- Evidence of continual CPD (review of portfolio)
- Maintenance of Physician Associate clinical assessment and diagnostic skills
- Clinical diagnostic skills including the ability to interpret as a minimum CXR, AXR and laboratory investigations (as per DHFT ACP Framework)
- Has the ability to use basic IT systems including Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as ability to learn Trust specific IT systems
- Ability to formulate a diagnosis and differential diagnosis, initiate appropriate treatment and evaluate effectiveness
- Ability to manage a team of patients and prioritise work
- Able to present and receive complex information from the MDT
- Experience of conducting clinical audit
- Experience in managing chronic health issues
- Evidence of a teaching/coaching/ mentoring course
- Experience in leadership and or management
- Substantial broad experience relevant to clinical area
- Experience in managing acute problems
Skills and Aptitudes
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload effectively
- Ability to exercise sound judgements when faced with conflicting pressures
- Ability to implement and interpret policies and procedures
- Ability to work well with colleagues and within a team
- Ability to adhere to regulations as well as work flexibly to meet the needs of the Trust
- An inquiring and critical approach to work
- Able to effectively communicate highly complex, sensitive or contentious information using highly developed interpersonal skills to overcome barriers to acceptance
- • Awareness of current developments and initiatives in emergency medicine services.
- Positive approach to change
- Evidence of empathetic approach to patients and families
- Commitment to professional development
- Energy and enthusiasm and the ability to work under pressure
- Physically able to perform all requirements of the PA role where highly developed skills and accuracy are required i.e. ABG, inserting catheters, specialist procedures relevant to area of practice, attendance to emergency calls
- Willing to be adaptable and flexible to meet service requirements
- Is willing to develop and maintain competence in the variety of skills as outlined within Physician Associate competency document as appropriate to area of practice
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Kirsty Coulson
- Job title
- Composite Workforce Lead
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
Preferred contact is via email due to shift pattern. If contacting via telephone but get no answer, please leave a voicemail with a contact number and I will return the call.
List jobs with North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust in Health Science Services or all sectors