NHS AfC: Band 2
''A great place to be cared for; a great place to work''
University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay has been nationally recognised as the UK’s most inclusive NHS organisation. As such we have a firm commitment to strengthening the diversity of our workforce, and therefore welcome and encourage applications from likeminded people who can support our ambition to become effortlessly inclusive. We are particularly keen to hear from protected groups – including BAME, LGBT+ and people with a disability.
Part time 20 hours per week
The catering department at Royal Lancaster Infirmary is looking to recruit a catering assistant for duties in their busy department.
Main duties of the job
You will be working for a department that is committed to the ongoing development of their staff.
You should have working knowledge of a busy food environment and ideally hold your Foundation food hygiene certificate, full training, and support will be given on induction.
Main duties will include working in various production areas, pan wash, pot wash, dining and service areas, serving patient meals on wards and maintaining their workplace in a clean and hygienic manner.
Working for our organisation
Anyone newly appointed to the trust will be subject to the completion of a satisfactory 6 month probationary period (this includes bank staff). This will give the new staff member an opportunity to become familiar with the role and working environment.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Provide a counter service to staff, patients and visitors that is customer focused in Trust restaurants and cafes with responsibility for Cash handling and Card payments at authorised pay points.
- Follow food safety legislation and complete all relevant Hazard Analysis of Critical Control Points documentation.
- Be responsible for replenishing counter and food service areas, rotating in accordance with Use by and Best before dates ensuring stock is fresh and appetising.
- To be responsible for stock control and replenishing items for vending machines across the site ensuring all vending machines clean and in good order, reporting any faults immediately to line manager.
- To be responsible for the 24hr patient snack and discharge bag fridge daily ensuring products have 2 days shelf life on fresh products.
Education and qualifications
- Numerical and literacy
- Understanding of the english language
- Food Hygiene Certificate
- Knowledge of COSHH
- Knowledge of cleaning
- Experience of working in a hospital environment
- Knowledge of cleaning in a food establishment
Skills, ability and knowledge
- Physically be able to move meal trolleys, floor scrubbing machine
- Able to deal with internal and external communication, face to face and over the phone
- Commitment to undertake addition training as required for the post
- Able to communicate within a team
- Knowledge of customer service
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the United Kingdom (UK) are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. Please note that from January 2021, to work in the UK all candidates who are not UK or Republic of Ireland (RoI) nationals require sponsorship unless you have permission to work via another route. Non UK / RoI candidates wishing to apply can self-assess the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship hereWork in the UK. It is vital that you provide full and accurate details of your current immigration status on the application form. Overseas applicants applying for entry clearance into the UK must present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided in continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Guidance can be found hereCriminal records checks for overseas applicants. Not everyone needs a ‘Skilled Worker’ visa. If you are applying for a vacancy in health or adult social care, check if you’re eligible to apply for the Health and Care Worker visa instead. It’s cheaper to apply for and you do not need to pay the annual immigration health surcharge
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Jackie O'Brien
- Job title
- Catering Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01524 512238
- Additional information
Ian Cottam/Julie Algar Assistant Catering Manager Tel: 01524 512232
Maria Painter Catering Clerk Tel: 01524 512233