Healthcare Support Worker - Surgical Receiving Unit
NHS AfC: Band 2
As a Healthcare Support Worker with Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust, you will be working together as part of a multidisciplinary, professional team to assist the registered nurses and senior clinical staff in the planning, delivery and evaluation of care. Our staff are committed to providing high standards of individualised care for the people who use our services, whilst maintaining their privacy and dignity at all times.
As part of the SRU team, you will be helping in improving services for emergency surgical patients.
You will be part of a team committed to helping patients and improving their journey.
Working Pattern: 37.5 hours per week on a Permanent Contract. The service operates seven days a week 24/7 as such you will be expected to work flexibly across nights & weekends
Main duties of the job
- Taking patients observations
- Venepuncture and cannulation
- Accompanying patients to go to theatre
- Helping with personal care
- ECGs when needed
- To take part as requested in unit meetings, encouraging effective communications between other staff
- To participate in team building/communication, and to develop a cohesive, supportive and effective team. To work towards the agreed philosophy and objectives of the ward/department
- Participate in client and public involvement activities
- To liaise and communicate effectively with all parts of the multidisciplinary team to co-ordinate person-centred care
Working for our organisation
Why work with us - The Surgical Receiving Unit (SRU) is a new unit within Torbay Hospital that takes patients directly referred from GPs, patients from the Emergency Department and patients from clinic.
We work in an integrated way with allied health care professionals within the locality, and are a motivated and caring team to both patients and colleagues.
SRU take a lot of specialities including Urology, Orthopaedics and ENT. It is a fast-paced environment where each and every member of the MDT support each other and are valued.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Full vacancy details can be found on the attached Job Description/Person Specification.
Please refer to your suitability to the post in your supporting information from the role requirements or person specification.
- Minimum 6 months experience gained within the last 3 years in the care Sector
- To be able to demonstrate a basic level of literacy and numeracy skills
- To demonstrate experience in a caring environment in or outside of the workplace
- NVQ 2 (or equivalent) in Healthcare
- Venepuncture and cannulation
- Basic IT skills
- Previous knowledge of hospital computer systems
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Marie Willcocks
- Job title
- Email address
- Telephone number
List jobs with Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust in Nursing and Midwifery or all sectors