2 x Consultant in General Internal Medicine with Surgical Liaison
NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
Outstanding Care, Outstanding Careers
For more information on our wonderful Trust search Join DCHFT and for more information on the benefits of working at DCHFT search DCHFT Staff Benefits
For help with completing an application search DCHFT Our Recruitment Process
Applications are invited for 2 positions of Consultant / Consultant Level Doctor in General Internal Medicine based at Dorset County Hospital.
- Leadership in the care of medical inpatients residing on surgical wards.
- Participation in the General Medical On call at Consultant Level Currently Planned to be 1:15 weekdays and 1:9 weekends.
- To provide clinical advice for community service as part of admission avoidance strategies during on call duties.
- To provide continuing medical education and conduct undergraduate and post graduate teaching as appropriate
- To contribute to the development of clinical quality and effectiveness in medicine and other clinical areas where these overlap with developments in medicine pathways
- To work effectively with the multi-professional workforce and adjacent service to enable efficient and high value care.
The job plan consists of 10 PA’s (8.5 direct clinical care and 1.5 SPA) there are opportunities for additional remuneration from work in leadership, education and research. We will consider candidates wanting less than full time working or annualised working with associated GIM on call pro rata.
The successful applicant will participate in the on-call rota for Medicine which provides a seven-day service for both inpatients and new admissions.
Main duties of the job
The post-holder will be responsible to the Divisional Director, James Metcalfe and Divisional Manager Andrew Miller.
Interviews expected to take place on 7th July 2023.
Working for our organisation
At DCHFT, we pride ourselves on the care we provide for our patients, and on the culture, we are creating for our staff. We work hard to create a fair, inclusive environment for our staff
Our Mission is to provide outstanding care for people in ways which matter to them, and our vision is Dorset County Hospital, working with our health and social care partners, will be at the heart of improving the well-being of our communities.
We are a Trust that celebrates diversity, and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We welcome applications from people in all under-represented groups.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Our DCHFT Job Description and Person Specification (attached) tells you all about this role, what to expect and what is needed to succeed. When completing your application please make sure to tell us how your experience and skills fit the person specification.
Please contact us at Recruitment.Medical@dchft.nhs.uk if you are unable to view or download the attachment.
For all our roles, we are looking for staff who hold our Trust Values of Integrity, Respect Teamwork and Excellence, and who are passionate about providing the best patient care. To read more about our Trust and our Values search Dorset County Hospital online.
Eduction & Qualifications
- An appropriate higher medical qualification - MRCP or overseas equivalent
- Full GMC Registration with a licence to practice
- Entry on the GMC Specialist Register via: CCT (proposed CCT date must be within 6 months of interview), CESR, If not on the specialist register evidence of significant history of working at consultant level in a similar healthcare system (would be appointed to specialist pay scale)
Experience & Knowledge
- Significant Clinical experience in Ward Based General Internal Medicine Inpatient Care
- Experience demonstrating potential ability to cope with the demands of a DGH based Consultant Level Doctor
Current Skills & Abilities
- Willingness and ability to fulfil the general service elements of the job description
- Evidence of the clinical skills required to fulfil the specialty and sub-specialty elements of the job as in the job description and technical specification
Team Working and Service Development
- Evidence of leadership and service development
- Ability to develop effective working relationships and team working
Understanding and Participation in Clinical Governance
- Evidence of understanding of clinical governance
- Knowledge of and direct involvement in audit
- Knowledge of principles of research and evidence of involvement in research.
Management Training, Organisational Skills and Strategic Vision
- Evidence of general management training and skills appropriate for the post
- Evidence of ability to contribute to the strategic direction of the Trust
- Knowledge of organizational aspects of the NHS
Teaching and communication
- Evidence of teaching experience and abilities appropriate to the post
- Ability to present effectively to an audience
- Ability to communicate effectively
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- James Metcalfe
- Job title
- Divisional Director
- Email address
- Telephone number
List jobs with Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in Medical and Dental or all sectors