Deputy Governance Lead Midwife
NHS AfC: Band 6
We are proud to provide ‘Outstanding’ care and be a great place to work.
At East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust (ESHT) we provide safe, compassionate and high quality hospital and community care to the half a million people living in East Sussex or visiting our local area. We are one of the largest organisations in East Sussex with an annual income of £476 million and we are the only integrated provider of acute and community care in Sussex. Our extensive health services are provided by over 7000 dedicated members of staff working from two acute hospitals in Hastings and Eastbourne, three community hospitals in Bexhill, Rye and Uckfield, over 100 community sites across East Sussex and in people’s own homes.
In 2020 the Care Quality Commission (CQC), the health and care regulator, rated us as ‘Good’ overall, and ‘Outstanding’ for being caring and effective. Our acute hospital at Hastings and our Community Services are also rated ‘Outstanding’. Our acute hospital at Eastbourne is rated ‘Good’.
In the summer of 2020, the Trust launched its ambitious ‘Building for our Future’ (BFF) programme. This once in a lifetime programme aims to repair, redevelop and expand our hospitals at Eastbourne, Hastings and Bexhill, transforming the environment in which we provide care for generations to come. Our plans are ambitious and include the repair, refurbishment and in some cases expansion of large parts of our hospitals at Bexhill, Eastbourne, and Hastings.
A wide range of staff benefits are available to our staff including staff development, enrolment in the NHS pension scheme, auto-enrolment to our Temporary Workforce Service, access to nurseries at EDGH and Conquest, staff restaurants and on-site staff accommodation.
In addition to an internal Occupational Health department, all staff at ESHT will also have access to free psychological support through our confidential Employee Assistance Programme which is available to staff 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
There has never been a better time to join East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust, submit your application today.
We are pleased to announce an exciting opportunity to join the Women’s and Children’s and Sexual Health Division Governance Team.
As part of the risk and governance team, the post-holder will help coordinate risk management within the Women’s & Children’s Clinical Unit (CU). Working with the Assistant Director of Nursing / Head of Midwifery and Head of Nursing he/she will ensure there is a proactive risk management infrastructure within the CU, embracing and implementing changes to the Trust Risk Management Strategy to ensure compliance with national standards to ensure high quality, evidence based standards of care are foremost within the CU..
Please see the Person Specification for more detailed eligibility criteria.
Main duties of the job
- Assisting in the review of clinical and non-clinical incidents submitted via the Trust’s incident reporting system (DATIX)
- Deputise, when required, for the lead in reporting to external regulatory agencies
- Work collaboratively with members of the Trust multi-disciplinary team to contribute to Serious Incident investigations when required
- Promote a positive learning culture and embed practice change where necessary
- Participation in research/audit, guideline and practice development
- Supporting the Assistant Director of Nursing / Head of Midwifery and the Head of nursing in compiling reports for clinical unit and other meetings.
- To assist with the review and maintenance of local action tracker and the risk register.
Working for our organisation
We are proud to provide ‘Outstanding’ care and be a great place to work
We provide safe, compassionate and high quality care to half a million people living or visiting East Sussex. We are one of the largest organisations in East Sussex, the only integrated provider of acute and community care in Sussex. Our extensive services are provided by 7000 + members of staff working from acute hospitals in Hastings and Eastbourne, three community hospitals in Bexhill, Rye and Uckfield, over 100 community sites and in people’s own homes.
In 2020 the Care Quality Commission rated us as ‘Good’ overall, and ‘Outstanding’ for being caring and effective. The Conquest Hospital and our Community Services are rated ‘Outstanding’. Eastbourne DGH rated ‘Good’.
In 2020, the Trust launched its ambitious ‘Building for our Future’ programme. This once in a lifetime programme aims to repair, redevelop and expand our hospitals, transforming the environment in which we provide care for generations to come.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please refer to the job description attached.
If you have any questions about this position please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Registered Midwife on NMC Register Diploma/Degree level qualification
- Sign off mentorship L6 or equivalent
- Evidence of training and / or practical experience in: Undertaking risk assessment and root cause analysis SI investigation and reporting Sharing and embedding lessons learned
- Commitment to work towards Degree / MSc
- Further development such as Child Protection Training/ Health and Safety etc
- Relevant Degree/masters or equivalent qualification
- PMA – professional Midwifery Advocate training
- Evidence of substantial relevant post-registration experience
- A knowledge of national and local standards
- Risk Management Experience
- Understanding of risk management systems
- Current clinical experience
- Understanding of the reports of the National Enquiries and Statutory bodies
- Project work
- Experience of teaching
- Evidence of change management
- Report writing experience
- Experience of dealing with complaints
- Experience of Root Cause Analysis
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Sabine Turpin
- Job title
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
You can also contact Jackie Longton- Interim Deputy Governance Lead - firstname.lastname@example.org /07811232502