Chief/highly specialised cardiac physiologist in Echocardiography
AfC Band 7
We are one of the largest organisations in the Eastern region. Our scale provides exciting opportunities for development, innovation, research, education and training.
Talk to us about our flexible working opportunities.
We want the best staff. You want to make a difference.
The East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust has an exciting opportunity for a skilled cardiac physiologist to join our friendly team at the Ipswich site.
The department offers a full echo service including routine transthoracic studies, contrast, bubble, transoesophageal echo, stress echo (both Dobutamine and Exercise) and physiologist led valve clinics. We also offer a wide range of invasive and non-invasive diagnostics tests, including ECGs, ambulatory monitoring, exercise tolerance testing and device follow ups. Invasive procedures are performed in the purpose built Heart Centre and include diagnostic angiography, PCI and device implantation.
You will be well supported and actively encouraged to develop by attending relevant clinical courses and participate in wellbeing initiatives. We recognize the importance of a good work life balance and offer a flexible approach to staff working patterns where you can choose to work your hours over 4 or 5 days. Part time hours will also be considered.
Applications for this post are invited from experienced, BSE accredited physiologists who wish to advance their clinical and leadership skills. This post provides an excellent opportunity to help develop and expand our echocardiography service as part of a dynamic and cohesive team.
If you do not fulfil all of the criteria, applications will be considered from those with the appropriate qualifications aspiring towards accreditation as we can support training in this area.
Main duties of the job
As a Chief/Highly Specialised Cardiac Physiologist, you will be responsible for performing and reporting, without supervision, a wide range of Cardiac investigations. You will also be responsible for the supervision and training of fellow members of the cardiac physiology team and junior doctors.
You will be expected to take a lead role in one aspect of the cardiac physiology service
To interpret clinical data, produce factual reports and deliver results to other medical professionals
To contribute to the department training and education programmed and implement changes to practice/service provision in liaison with the principal/deputy principal cardiac physiologist.
To work within trust and external professional standards of proficiency and be able to practice safely and effectively whilst maintaining legal and ethical boundaries.
Please note the salary quoted will be pro rata, per annum for part time positions
Working for our organisation
East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust (ESNEFT) provide hospital and community health services to people living across a wide geographical area. We deliver care from two main hospitals in Colchester and Ipswich, six community hospitals and in patients’ own homes. You will be joining a team of 10,000 amazing colleagues providing care to 800,000 residents.
We hold weekly review and teaching meetings attended by our consultants and cardiac physiologists and we are very keen to progress and expand our physiologist led services.
Informal visits to the department are welcomed and highly recommended prior to interview.
If you are passionate about patient care and want to develop your skills and knowledge then we are keen to hear from you
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Independently practises with a high level of skill and autonomy at advance specialist level in at least one field of cardiology (complex echocardiography or complex devices)
- Independently practises with a high level of skill and autonomy in a wide range of other cardiac physiology procedures which may include ECGs, ambulatory monitoring, ambulatory monitoring analysis, exercise tolerance testing, diagnostic angiography, PCI, ILR implant and follow up, pacemaker implant and follow up.
- Uses multiple complex IT systems to produce accurate records of complex clinical and technical data in accordance with trust and departmental guidelines
- Provides rapid and accurate interpretation of complex data and acts on findings dependant on patient’s clinical needs within appropriate time frame depending on urgency
Full details on the role can be found in the attached job description
- Significant clinical experience working in cardiac physiology at band 6 level
- Experience in advanced echo practice
- Experience in training staff
- Experience in managing team
- wide range of cardiac physiology investigations
- advanced specialist knowledge in one area of cardiac physiology
- BSc/MSc in cardiac physiology/cardiac science
- BSE accreditation (Equivalent to MSc)
- RCCP/AHCS registration
- HCPC registration
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Samantha Clarke
- Job title
- Principal Cardiac Physiologist
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01473 703186