Medical Secretary - Community Paediatrics
NHS AfC: Band 4
Here at East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust,
Our mission is:
Providing high-quality, compassionate care for our communities
Our vision to 2030 is:
To be trusted to provide consistently outstanding care and exemplary service
We are looking for a part-time Medical Secretary for Community Paediatrics based at the Danestrete Site in Stevenage.
You will be the designated Medical Secretary to one consultant and support in all aspects of their Community paediatrics role.
We are looking for a highly motivated, professional and enthusiastic individual to work within our division.
You should have a sound knowledge of medical terminology and have the ability to work without direct supervision, be able to prioritise and manage workloads. The applicant must be computer literate and have good written and verbal English skills due to the nature of the job requirements.
You will be the first point of contact for GPs, consultant colleagues, nursing, admin and other hospital staff, patients, relatives and outside agencies. You must be a team player. You will provide professional and efficient secretarial and administrative support to the consultants and medical team.
Please note there is no onsite parking for staff due to restricted placements at this site
Main duties of the job
To provide professional and efficient secretarial and administrative support to the Consultant and medical team.
Be the first point of contact and communication for General Practitioners, consultant colleagues, nursing staff, administrative and other hospital staff, patients, relatives and outside agencies.
The post holder will also be responsible for the admin and support of SEN applications from the North Herts team and must have sufficient knowledge of Excel and have the ability to manage short turnaround deadlines.
To help organise division specific clinics and liaise with outside agencies to achieve this.
The post holder must apply a high degree of confidentiality to all of their work.
To undertake these duties without direct supervision, working within broad procedural guidelines and duties consummate with pay grade
Working for our organisation
At East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, we are proud of the range of general and specialist services we provide and our 6,000 or so dedicated staff ensure our patients get the best care. Our ability to be flexible and innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
We run the following hospitals:
- The Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- New Queen Elizabeth II (New QEII), Welwyn Garden City
- Hertford County, Hertford
- Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC), Northwood
We have ambitious plans to become an outstanding, patient-led Trust where dedicated staff provide high-quality, compassionate care to our patients. We continue to undergo significant transformation and our staff and patients are at the heart of delivering this ambitious agenda.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
In the paragraphs above you have read an overview about the role we would like to offer and general information about main duties of the post holder.
Please see attached – job description which describes in full details the duties, responsibilities and reporting relationships of the advertising role.
All applicants must provide a full breakdown of all GCSE and above grades qualifications achieved
- Educated to minimum GCSE level or equivalent
- Evidence of continuing development
- AMSPAR Medical Secretary Diploma or touch typing experience
- Shorthand/ Minute taking experience
- Demonstrable secretarial and administrative experience
- Managing appointments and diaries
- Handling telephone enquiries
- NHS experience
- Patient administration experience
- Recent medical secretary experience within NHS
Skills & Qualities
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Excellent verbal/written and interpersonal skills
- Excellent typing, keyboard and audio-typing skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Methodical and able to prioritise own workload
- Ability to adapt to change
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Confidentiality and sensitivity of approach
- Enthusiasm, Initiative and Flexibility
- Awareness of limitations of experience and role
- Well presented application including relevant information for the job
- Comprehensive understanding of patient needs
- Computer literacy
- Medical terminology
- Proficient in Microsoft word and excel software
- Organisational structures
- Lorenzo or similar software knowledge
- CIPTS or database knowledge
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Jo Lee
- Job title
- Service Coordinator - Community Paeds
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
For further details contact Jo Lee via email firstname.lastname@example.org