At East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust our vision is to be widely recognised for providing safe, personal and effective care. We currently provide high quality services and treat over 600,000 people across East Lancashire and the surrounding area. We employ over 7,000 staff, many of whom are internationally renowned and have won awards for their work.
Provision of a comprehensive, professional and efficient Outpatient and Health Records Service to patients/service users within the East Lancashire Health Community, ensuring a high level of Customer Care whilst maintaining confidentiality at all times. Together with clerical/admin experience, keyboard skills, a polite and pleasant manner, you will be part of this team.
We are looking for a highly motivated, flexible and dedicated staff member with a positive approach to join the Outpatient /Health Records Department predominantly based at Accrington Victoria Hospital.
You must be an organised, conscientious, caring person with the ability to work on your own or as part of a team and be able to cope with a demanding work flow.
This is a very challenging and physical environment which involves a lot of manual handling.
This is a part time position working 18.75 hours - Wednesday PM, 7.5 hours Thursday and Friday, they must be flexible to work between the hours of 8am to 8pm. The candidate will be expected to work at RBH and BGH as and when required.
Duties will include
- Prepare clinic case notes with specific attention to the data items required for commissioning purposes and data quality in line with the Trust’s Clinical Records Policy, ensuring that all appointment details are entered onto the Patient Administration System (PAS).
- Booking in patients attending outpatient clinics and issuing return appointments as directed by the consultant/nursing staff prior to the patient leaving the Department.
- Provide an accurate and efficient filing and retrieval service for medical casenotes.
- Locate and extract medical casenotes for patients attending clinic for both elective and emergency admissions.
- Request and ensure delivery of health records for patients either attending a clinic or an admission, from all departments within this Trust and other hospitals.
- Prioritise own workload ensuring agreed timescales are met each day involving the provision of case notes.
- Provide a courier service which involves the collection of health records onsite and offsite, for emergency admissions during all shifts and Bank Holidays.
- Adhere to departmental policies and procedures and participate in audits in order to maintain data quality and provide an efficient service.
- Cull, prepare and record health records for offsite storage and redirect upon request.
- Maintain the confidentiality of any information obtained regarding patients and be aware of Data Protection and Freedom of Information policy
Type of Candidate
The successful candidate must be flexible, approachable, organised and possess good interpersonal skills, with the ability to work under pressure.
It is essential that you have a consistant and reliable attendance record and have good mobility, i..e able to kneel and bend with ability to move and handle heavy loads.
Dear Potential Applicant,
It is important you are made aware of the changes which East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust has implemented with regard to charging for the cost of undertaking Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) Checks (previously known as Criminal Records Bureau or CRB) and how this may impact upon you.
A Standard Disclosure is needed for this role as there is a requirement for regular contact with children or vulnerable adults but the job does not involve the need to directly work with these groups. This is called Controlled Activity. Therefore any offer of employment is provisional upon a satisfactory Standard DBS check being obtained.
Presently the cost of a Standard Disclosure is £30.00 including a small handling fee.
In line with other NHS organisations in the North West Region, the Trust is now passing the charge for undertaking a DBS check on to candidates in the event they are successfully appointed into the post for which they have applied. Candidates can choose whether to pay this over 1-3 months as a deduction from the monthly salary. By applying for this vacancy you are agreeing to this undertaking in the event you are successfully appointed.
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
To print a document or save it to your computer, please click with your right mouse button on the document title and select "Save Target As...". You can then save the document in a suitable place on your computer ready to print it out. Clicking with the left mouse button will open the document in a new window (if your web browser can do so).
Further details / informal visits contact
If you have problems applying, contact
- 01254 732075