Systems & Network Technician
NHS AFC: Band 5
IT Systems Engineer - Band 5
An exciting IT opportunity has arisen for a dynamic individual who is keen to be at the forefront of IT innovation within the NHS. You will be part of a dedicated, hardworking team delivering 2nd Line support and technical advancement to clinicians and directly affecting patient care. The trust already deliver ‘follow me’ desktops that allow clinicians to tap and move their desktops between home and wards and this will be improved and built upon with exciting future projects.
Based at the Bolton Hospital site, you will provide services to 7,500 users over 25 sites in a high-pressure environment. With a wide range of technical infrastructure, it can provide a comprehensive and structured career path and allows you to get exposure to many advanced technologies. It is an exciting time for the hospital with investment and development of the IT Infrastructure of which this role will be a key part.
To be responsible for all aspects of system administration and IT support services with a strong emphasis on Citrix Desktops and Microsoft Technologies ensuring that the services are efficient and responsive to the needs of the Trust. To provide an efficient technical and systems support function to users of departmental systems.
You will required to:
- To be lead specialist in at least 4 technical disciplines as defined by the Knowledge Skills Framework Document.
- To provide 2nd Line support within an IT Infrastructure which utilises Microsoft Technologies, Citrix and VMware.
- Support the effective management and monitoring of the physical and virtual server/desktop environment.
- To support the running of an effective Citrix XenDesktop 7.x and XenApp 7 infrastructure including user management.
- Experience Operating in a virtual desktop environment with virtualised applications.
- To maintain and manage an effective, resilient and secure Windows 2012 Active Directory Domain infrastructure.
- To support user mailboxes with a secure corporate messaging infrastructure (Exchange On-Premise/365).
- To support users and services in an effective, resilient, secure thin and thick desktop client infrastructure.
- To maintain secure user desktops running anti-virus and security products.
- Provide effective IT technical support at all sites within the Trust
- To participate with Service Desk duties and record all incidents reported by users on the service desk software ensuring that:
- All contact details are checked and verified
- An accurate description of the incident is recorded onto the Service Desk call logging system
- An appropriate priority is assigned to the incident
- All updates from the customer or assigned officer are recorded accurately and in a timely manner.
- Provide first time fixes and resolutions to ICT related incidents and requests where appropriate via telephone and face to face.
- To monitor the progress of calls logged on the service desk logging system ensuring that all are resolved in accordance with agreed criteria as specified in the Department’s Standard Work.
- To monitor, manage and resolve calls logged on the service desk logging system against agreed SLAs (Service Level Agreements).
- To manage the service user experience and their expectations by keeping service user’s updated on the status of their reported incident.
- To participate in the trusts disaster recovery plan.
- To participate where required in IT projects.
- Assist training other members of IT Staff.
- Participate in working across shift patterns, to cover between 08:00 and 20:30.
- When appropriate, participate in an out of hours on call rota for the provision of support to all Users.
- To undertake other assignments in accordance with the priorities agreed by the IT Manager.
- Provide excellent communication, reporting and documentation
Undertake other duties as required to support the service at the request of the Senior IT Managers.
The aims of this Trust are to improve the health of and provide the best possible care to the population in which we serve and ensure that our staff have joy and pride in their work. We are striving to recruit a workforce that reflects the communities in which we serve. We value our staff and can offer excellent opportunities for further training and development. We are keen to reflect our local population and therefore applications from all sectors of the community are welcomed.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Bev Howarth
- Job title
- Service Improvement Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01204 390159