Receptionist/Data Input Clerk
The Emergency Department is seeking enthusiastic, highly motivated people, with excellent communication and customer service skills to work on the reception desk at Chorley Hospital. The successful candidate will come into contact with other members of a multi disciplinary team as well as provide the first point of contact for members of the general public.
The successful candidate must be interested in the wellbeing of others, work well as part of a team, and be self-motivated and able to prioritize their workload. In addition excellent keyboard/PC skills are required.
Main duties of the job
Duties include the accurate registration of patients using an electronic system, dealing with direct and telephone enquiries and other associated clerical and data input duties.
TOTAL flexibility in working is required as the post holder will be expected to work covering a variety of early & late shifts on a Rota basis.
Working for our organisation
ancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust provides hospital services to 370,000 people in the Preston and Chorley area as well as Specialist care to 1.5 million people across Lancashire and Cumbria.
Our aim is to provide excellent care with compassion for every patient and their families on every occasion and our values define the high standards of behaviour we expect from our staff to ensure we deliver that care.
We provide a range of specialist tertiary services including oncology, renal, plastics and burns, neurosciences and specialist mobility and rehabilitation and are the major trauma centre and major vascular centre for Lancashire and South Cumbria, which means our hospitals deliver the latest treatment for a broad spectrum of serious, complex and uncommon conditions.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Demonstrate an approachable, helpful and professional style of care.
- Courteous reception of persons attending the Emergency Department including patients, relatives, visitors and staff.
- Answer telephone queries and take messages maintaining patient confidentiality and seeking appropriate authorisation for giving of information when required.
- Meet and greet and provide assistance, directing visitors to the Department to appropriate locations.
- Give due regard to any person attending the Emergency Department who may require assistance with communication.
- Report any changes or concerns regarding a patient to a senior member of the team.
- Inform either the triage nurse or the sister in charge immediately if a patient books in with a serious injury or illness identified in the “Guidance for Receptionists Regarding Patients Booking In with Possible Serious Illness or Injury”
- Report behaviour that undermines equality and diversity.
- Accurate recording of patient’s demographic and personal details as currently required by the Electronic Patient Record system.
- The transcribing of accurate information as required.
- Accurate filing and storing of Emergency Department patient records.
- The recording and processing of accurate information with regard to Outpatient clinics.
- Participate and contribute to developments in Customer Service provisions in line with Trust policies.
- Monitor supplies of stationary and follow procedures for re-ordering
- Actively participate in the PDPR Process.
- Undertake identified learning and development opportunities, as identified during the PDPR Process.
- Take responsibility for meeting all Mandatory training requirements
- Undertake in-service training as required.
***PREVIOUS APPLICANTS NEED NOT APPLY***
Interview date: Wednesday 30th June 2021
Qualifications & Education
- Educated to GCSE level or equivalent
- ECDL qualification
- NVQ in customer service or equivalent
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience of working on a busy reception
- Experience of inputing data onto computerised systems
- Experience of working in a demanding environment
- Aware of the concept and application of confidentiality
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Previous experience of working in a health care or related setting
- Previous experience of working with the public
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Linda Simms
- Job title
- Reception & Systems Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 07927 679120
- Additional information
For Further details contact:
Linda Simms, Reception & Systems Manager 01257 247102 or 07927 679120
or Alison Bleasdale Reception Supervisor 01772 584711 or 01257 245332