Community Diabetes Specialist Nurse
NHS AfC: Band 6
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust is a community focused provider of local and acute care, providing high quality services to over one million people living across the London boroughs of Lewisham, Greenwich and Bexley.
With a turnover of around £700 million, we provide services at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Woolwich, University Hospital Lewisham and a range of community settings in Lewisham. We also provide some services at Queen Mary’s Hospital in Sidcup.
The Trust has 7,500 staff and we have recently invested in our workforce to grow our establishment across a number of key services. In 2020 we won a London NHS Parliamentary Award in recognition of a wide range of initiatives to make the organisation a great place to work. We are accredited as a flexible working employer offering a number of flexible working options for staff. We are also accredited as a London Living Wage employer for our substantive, bank and contractors.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced registered nurse to join the diabetes community team. The focus of this role will be to work closely with General practice and community nursing staff using a facilitative approach to support the strategic development and implementation of diabetes services across the Borough of Lewisham in order to improve the quality of diabetes care. The post holder will manage a caseload of patients whilst working alongside a highly skilled team of Consultants, Specialist Nurses, Podiatrists and Dietitians.
Main duties of the job
Delivering education in primary care is an important aspect of the role to support the development of skills for health care professionals across the primary care setting to support appropriate repatriation of patients from secondary to primary care.
As well as clinical care delivery, you will have the opportunity to develop your skills in service development e.g. undertaking clinical audits.
This role may also suit Practice Nurses or District Nurses with diabetes experience wanting to develop a specialism in diabetes care.
Working for our organisation
The Lewisham Community Diabetes Team provides complex care to patients with diabetes within community clinics, facilitation clinics and virtual clinics and in patient’s homes.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
1. To work as a team player within the framework of the community diabetes service, providing evidence based practice.
2. Support on all aspects pertaining to the management of diabetes, reducing cardiovascular risk, working as part of the community diabetes team.
3. To support the community diabetes team to deliver education and training to multi-professionals, voluntary organisations as well as people with diabetes.
4. Manage a caseload of patients with diabetes to educate towards self-management, prevention, early detection and treatment of diabetic complications.
5. Promote effective communication across primary and secondary care interface to ensure a seamless, equitable, quality service is provided for all people with diabetes in Lewisham.
Qualifications and Training
- • RN / RM – Part 1
- • Relevant specialist course or similar
- • Mentorship course (supervising and assessing)
- • Knowledge of common conditions related to diabetes and its complications, its management and treatment
- • Knowledge of quality standards
- • DESMOND educator or willing to undertake DESMOND training
- • Experience of managing patients with type 2 diabetes including insulin and GLP1 initiation
- • Ability to work autonomously and as a member of a multi-professional team
- • Evidence of using primary and secondary healthcare teams and resources
- • Experience of close working with primary care colleagues and a wider multidisciplinary team e.g, Tier 2 facilitation clinics
- • Presentation and publishing experience
- • Leading a service
- • Audit and Research Experience
- • Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- • Ability to conduct own project successfully and follow them through
- • Counselling skills
- • Change management
- • Statistics and report writing
- • Flexible and positive approach to work
- • Evidence of clinical leadership qualities
- • Committed to collaborative working
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Kippy Mahdi-Rogers
- Job title
- Lead Community Diabetes Nurse
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
For further information please contact Kippy Mahdi-rogers Lead Community Diabetes Nurse on 020 3192 6540 / 07789273518 or Candy Rigby Head of Nursing Specialist Nursing team on 07500559477.
List jobs with Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust in Nursing and Midwifery or all sectors