NCA Estates Manager
The Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust (NCA) brings together staff and services from the former Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust and The Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust. The sheer size, scale and potential of our combined service is huge. Together, we’ve a wealth of skills and resources to share and tap into and, a wide range of career paths for you to develop and explore. If you want to join a team of around 20,000 NHS experts in delivering high-quality, local care across Salford, Oldham, Bury and Rochdale and beyond – come and take your place with us.
The Northern Care Alliance are seeking to recruit an Estates Manager to join the group based at Salford Royal Care Organisation.
To lead an Estates Team and provide engineering and building services leadership, ensuring effective maintenance programs are developed to meet statutory requirements, minimise risk and provide a safe and comfortable environment for patients, staff and visitors.
Main duties of the job
The primary duties of this role are as follows, with further details to be found within the Job Description.
Responsible for the management of the wider Estate. To include the maintenance and repair of all building fabric, utilities and engineering services, across the NCA, using the best possible business and working practices.
Maintaining the infrastructure and critical services to enable patients to be treated in a clean, safe and pleasant environment.
Responsible for managing and complying with all statutory instruments related to all estates infrastructure and engineering services.
To manage contracts, both internal and external, in addition to the directly employed workforce, to ensure the delivery of operational services.
Working for our organisation
The Northern Care Alliance (NCA) is one of the largest NHS organisations in the country. Launched in April 2017, the NCA serves over one million people across Greater Manchester and employs over 19,000 healthcare professionals across Bury, Rochdale, Salford and Oldham. The sheer size, scale and potential of our combined service is huge. At the NCA, we can offer groupwide, flexible multi-site opportunities, as part of our connected, integrated and engaged team. We believe in saving and improving lives and are passionate about driving forward significant improvements to the provision of safe, high-quality integrated health and social care to our local community. If you share our vision, take your place with us.
We have four core values which are a focus for how our staff and volunteers work with each other to provide care for our patients. We think of our values as a set of guiding principles to refer to when making decisions and interacting with people and they help us to work together to continuously improve the organisation and ourselves.
Patient & People Focus / Continuous Improvement / Accountability / Respect
These core values form part of the Organisations Performance Framework which regularly reviews how staff are performing.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Provide engineering and building services leadership, ensuring effective maintenance programs are developed to meet statutory requirements, minimise risk and provide a safe and comfortable environment for patients, staff and visitors.
Support the Estates & Facilities General Manager in the service delivery of Hard FM services for the Care Organisation.
Support the Estates & Facilities General Manager in providing advice and initial design input in the preparation of estates backlog schemes to deliver effective facilities, which minimise revenue costs.
Support the Estates & Facilities General Manager in developing the estate operations in line with the corporate objectives of the Northern Care Alliance.
The efficient and effective management of professional estates trades staff, administration staff, general maintenance operatives and other support staff as required.
Responsible for dealing with all Estate emergencies and for the activation and escalation of the Trust estates emergency plan whilst operating an ‘On-Call’ system.
Provide specialist information to consultants & design staff regarding complex systems and services to enable the provision of development and improvements to the building fabric & engineering services across the Trust.
Responsible for the efficient and effective management of all contractors including specialist services contractors dealing with highly complex plant and equipment.
Take the role of Authorised Person across a number of specific building and engineering services as required.
To read more information about the advertised role, and the main job duties/responsibilities please open the Job Description and Person Specification located under the supporting documents heading. You can also read more information about working at the Northern Care Alliance within the attached Candidate Information Pack or by visiting our careers website: www.careers.northerncarealliance.nhs.uk
In line with the Trust's Single Equality Scheme we welcome applications from everyone irrespective of ethnic origin, disability, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, marital status, social background or trade union membership. However, as members of ethnicity minority groups and individuals with disabilities are currently under-represented at this level of post, we would encourage applications from members of this group. Appointments will be based on merit alone.
- Member of the British Institute of Facilities Management
- Member of the Institute of Healthcare Engineering and Estate Management.
- Professional/academic qualification at degree level or demonstrable equivalent experience in a Technical or Estates discipline
- Evidence of continuing personal and professional development in EFM disciplines.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Demonstrable experience in a manager position, ideally in the estates and facilities management sector)
- Evidence of successful projects/programmes of work within agreed constraints e.g. budgets, timescales.
- Demonstrable track record in estates management/estates supervisory roles with ability to think and work across a range of activities
- Recent experience of successful negotiation and contract management.
- Experience of procurement through tendering.
- Ability to work effectively and inclusively with a wide range of people.
- Working knowledge of estates management and mandatory standards
- Evidence of Commitment to Continuing Professional Development.
- Negotiation and influencing skills including conflict resolution.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and judgement skills demonstrating an ability to interpret and act on complex information.
- Demonstrable ability to prioritise and manage time, people and resources to deliver required outcomes.
- Proven ability to manage resources effectively.
- Performance Management and development of staff.
- Well-developed leadership and motivational skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Self-motivating with a drive to develop Estates Services.
- Ability to achieve demanding tasks and objectives against deadlines.
- Detailed knowledge and experience of the operation of NHS Organisations.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Gary Lovelady
- Job title
- General Manager - Estates & Facilities
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0161 206 6828
- Additional information