Consultant in Care of the Elderly
NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
Patent and staff experience is important to us and these are the behaviours we live by:
- Putting patients first
- Aiming to get it right
- Recognising that everybody counts
- Doing everything openly and honestly
To expand the consultant workforce in medicine, we are looking to appoint 3 Geriatricians to manage both our Geriatric inpatient ward as well as develop our front door multidisciplinary frailty service. We would welcome subspecialty interests in Parkinson’s Disease, Community Geriatrics, Acute Frailty or Ortho-Geriatrics. We would also welcome candidates who wish to work across two specialities e.g. Geriatrics and Stroke Medicine. The successful candidates would work alongside our current consultant and build on the progress we have made within this specialty over the past two years. We have a highly motivated, friendly multidisciplinary team in Geriatric Medicine who have established a fit-for-purpose frailty and geriatric service at this trust. We now want to build and expand on this success by assessing and managing more frail patients at the front door, thus improving patient outcomes.
Prospective candidates should be within 6 months of obtaining a CCT, or be listed on or eligible for the UK Specialist Register at the date of interview.
Main duties of the job
There are three full time substantive posts. It coincides with the ongoing comprehensive reconfiguration of services for unscheduled care which involves further development of our “front door multidisciplinary frailty service”. The development of a Frailty Assessment Unit to facilitate the management of patients through the Trust is a key project that is currently underway and the forward vision focuses on the development of this service into a seven day a week provision. The service also aims to explore and develop opportunities for dedicated services within Older People’s Medicine such as a dedicated falls clinic, fracture liaison service (FLS) and a comprehensive geriatric assessment based clinic.
Working for our organisation
Come and join our successful team, located on the Norfolk coast, within walking distance of long sandy beaches and close to the beautiful Norfolk Broads. The James Paget Hospital has been consistently ranked among the top 100 “Best NHS Providers to work for” in the Health Service Journal, due to its supportive atmosphere and positive management culture. CQC inspection in 2018 and 2019 rated the hospital “Good” overall, with outstanding leadership in urgent and emergency care.
Whether you aspire to have a boat on the broads or play with your children on the beautiful beaches, the good local schools and competitive house prices allow you to maximise your NHS salary to get an excellent standard of living. The historic city of Norwich is only 30 minutes away and has an international airport; there are excellent rail links to London and easy access to the ports of Felixstowe and Harwich for access to Europe.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The successful applicants will share the responsibility for ward 12 (dedicated to elderly patients with complex medical and psycho-social problems). They will also support the frail elderly patients on the Acute Medical Unit (EADU). We would welcome subspecialty interests in Acute Frailty, Ortho-Geriatrics, Parkinson’s Disease & movement disorders, dementia or Community Care of the Elderly.
Other sub specialty interests will be also be considered and the department will look at options of providing specialty cover through a departmental job plan if a strong candidate has an interest in other areas which fits into the elderly medicine strategic vision for the Trust.
See job description for further details
Education and Qualifications
- MBBS or Basic Medical Degree
- MRCP or equivalent
- Hold a certificate or being within 6 months of completion of training or being on or eligible for the UK Specialist Register at the date of interview
- Full GMC registration
- Possession of ALS
Experience & Knowledge
- Ability to provide expert clinical opinion across a wide range of problems with a wide experience in Acute and General Medicine
- A special interest to compliment those within the department
- An understanding of the principles of research
- Knowledge of using evidence base medicine to support decision making
- Experience of conducting clinical audit
- Published Research
- Ability and enthusiasm for teaching health care professionals and medical students in an Acute Medicine setting
- Capable of organising and prioritising work effectively
- Motivation and ability to plan and develop the service
- Leadership qualities
- Energy and enthusiasm and an ability to work under pressure
- Experience in teaching junior medical staff
- Experience in teaching medical students and allied health professionals
- Management and committee experience
- Formal training in teaching skills
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Paul Banim
- Job title
- Assistat Medical Director
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01493 452766
- Additional information