Lead Pharmacy Technician Clinical Trials
NHS AfC: Band 6
Our award winning trusts recognise that our colleagues are our most valuable resource, we are proud of the excellent levels of service our Trust provides to our service users and the dedication and conscientiousness of our colleagues. With over 10,000 colleagues working for our trusts in a very wide range of services, we aim to provide a supportive, inclusive environment in which our colleagues can thrive.
Are you an experienced pharmacy technician with an interest in clinical trials and research?
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Band 6 Senior Pharmacy Technician to join our department to operationally lead the pharmacy clinical trials team.
We are looking for an experienced pharmacy technician with an interest in clinical trials, to join our team based at Musgrove Park Hospital Pharmacy department in providing the pharmaceutical input into our portfolio of clinical trials.
Main duties of the job
Based in the pharmacy department at Musgrove Park Hospital the you will work closely with the Lead Clinical Trials Pharmacist to manage and operationally lead the pharmacy clinical trials service.
You will be responsible for ensuring the efficient set-up and close-down of all medicines related clinical trials with oversight and coordinating the Investigational Medicinal Product (IMP) management of all clinical trials undertaken at MPH.
You will be the key pharmacy contact for the Trust Research and Development team attending all site selection and initiation visits.
You will need to have good communication and organisation skills, enthusiasm and an ability to motivate yourself to ensure we provide a high quality service.
Whether you are looking for a change of direction or already have experience in this area, then we would welcome your application.
Working for our organisation
As an organisation, the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention our Blue Light Card and NHS exclusive discounts.
The benefits of working in Somerset include the idyllic countryside, with our areas of outstanding beauty and stunning coastlines. You will get to enjoy these perks whilst still only being a stone’s throw away from bustling city centres like Bristol, Bath and Exeter and only two hours away from London.
There are excellent educational facilities in the area and, when compared to other regions, house prices are reasonable. You will experience the best of both in Somerset, the countryside and the cosmopolitan – there is truly something for everyone!
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Responsible for the operational and daily management of clinical trial prescriptions and medicines supply.
- Support the development of all grades of staff involved in dispensing and checking clinical trial prescriptions through education, training, and mentoring.
- Supervise and provide training on systems and processes to all new staff involved in clinical trial prescriptions.
- Audit and monitor the activity of the pharmacy clinical trials service and report to the Research and Development Team at MPH at regular intervals.
- Ensure that the pharmacy clinical trials service complies with all current statutory obligations, Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and other appropriate professional guidelines
- Provide dispensary support as a senior accredited checking technician (ACT) and supervise the work of pharmacy technicians, trainee pharmacists and pharmacy dispensers
- Full current registration with the General Pharmaceutical Council ( GPhC)
- Accredited Checking technician
- Knowledge of health and safety issues and their implications for staff, including COSHH
- Accredited Medicines Optimisation Technician ( or working towards)
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience of supervision of staff; including direction of work; prioritisation skills and feedback
- Demonstratable experience of staff appraisal and objective setting
- Minimum 5 years experience as a hospital pharmacy technician
- Experience specifically related to clinical trial drugs, ensuring GCP compliance
- Experience of providing a pharmacy clinical trials service
Communication Skills & Abilities
- High quality communication skills written, verbal, telephonic and the ability to work virtually using electronic means such as MS Teams
- Highly effective interpersonal skills to communicate with staff or service users at all levels
- Negotiation skills to deal with conflicting demands to ensure best outcomes for all service users
Planning & Organising Skills
- Able to prioritise tasks and workloads across different areas and respond to urgent demands
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Demonstrates ability to work independently and use initiative appropriately and as part of a team
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Richard Burgess
- Job title
- Lead Pharmacist Surgery and Clinical Trials
- Email address
- [email protected]
- Telephone number
- 01823 342254