Deputy Head of Finance & Commercial, BSPS
The Deputy Head of Finance & Commercial for BSPS will act as a deputy to the Head of Finance and Commercial to support all commercial activities within BSPS.
The role will require extensive experience on the creation of and input into commercial contracts, including contract negotiation, financial analysis of supplier bids and the provision of Financial Management Templates. The post holder will also manage all internal business cases by providing support to write the case, provide financial analysis of costs and projected income and the tracking each case through the approval process to carrying out post investment appraisals. Whilst not directly involved in the month end process, the post holder will need to have a strong understanding of supplier and commercial contracts, to ensure values are recorded accurately in the BSPS position. The post holder will also drive through a cost per test charging model with Partner Trusts, and ultimately be responsible for all pricing decisions within BSPS for NHS and Non NHS contracts.
Main duties of the job
- To be the BSPS expert in the calculation of cost/test.
- To design a cost/test contribution sharing model for BSPS Partners.
- To support the Head of Finance & Commercial on commercial bids and tenders.
- To create an activity-based cost sharing model for agreement by the BSPS Board.
- To support BSPS General Managers to write or review the financial input required in new business case submissions.
- To track the spend of major supplier reagent contracts, to ensure it is line with activity levels and to ensure month end accruals and prepayments are being made accurately in the BSPS ledger.
- To submit the quarterly and annual cost per test returns into the NHSE/I Model Hospital.
- To create and monitor a business case tracker for input into monthly operations meetings.
- To act as finance representative and provide expert financial support and advice on complex strategic issues, projects, initiatives, or service changes, producing detailed costings, reports and recommendations.
- The post holder will deputize for the Head of Finance and Commercial, BSPS during times when he/she is absent or unavailable. This will include line management of his/her direct reports for any HR issues as well as chairing team meetings and managing workload/projects.
Working for our organisation
Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust provides NHS hospital services for around 900,000 people across Berkshire, Hampshire, Surrey and south Buckinghamshire.
As well as delivering excellent general hospital services to local people, we provide specialist heart attack, vascular, stroke, spinal, cystic fibrosis and plastic surgery services across a much wider area.
We have three main hospitals - Frimley Park in Frimley near Camberley, Heatherwood in Ascot and Wexham Park near Slough.
Our three core values, and the behaviours that support them, guide everything we do and set out what we expect of our staff in the way they treat patients, visitors, service users and each other, Committed to Excellence, Working Together and Facing the Future.
We are also proud to host the Defence Medical Group South East at Frimley Park with military surgical, medical and nursing personnel working alongside the hospital's NHS staff providing care to patients in all specialties
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please refer to the job description/person specification of this role for a further outline of tasks and responsibilities.
- CCAB part qualified with considerable relevant experience
- CCAB qualified with post qualification experience and actively participating in CPD
- Possess expert specialist knowledge of financial and accounting procedures, financial and other aspects of legislation and NHS finance policies.
- Expert knowledge of finance issues in healthcare e.g. Service Line Reporting and Patient Level Costing and Costing Transformation
- Demonstrable knowledge of Payment by Results and NHS income flows and tariff systems
- Use of specialist financial software as appropriate
- Experience of financial aspects of strategic business planning.
- Several years experience in a financial environment, with at least 3 in a Management Accounts, or Costing function gaining knowledge in the following as appropriate: Service Line Reporting; Costing; Business Planning.
- Previous line management experience
- 3 years post qualification experience.
- Previous NHS Finance experience including costing and tariff systems.
- Experience in other financial disciplines, e.g. financial accounting
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- David Hurst
- Job title
- Head of Finance & Commercial BSPS
- Email address
- Telephone number