Locum Consultant - Care of the Elderly
George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust opened in 1948 and provides a range of elective, non-elective, surgical, medical, women’s, children’s, diagnostic and therapeutic services to a population of more than 350,000 people.
The hub of the Trust is located on the outskirts of Nuneaton and its services cover a large footprint, including north Warwickshire, south west Leicestershire, and north Coventry. We also provide primary and community services across Coventry, Warwickshire and Leicestershire.
Our vision is "to EXCEL at patient care". If you think you've got what it takes, help us realise this and join #TeamEliot.
Locum Consultant – Elderly Care
The medical directorate at the George Eliot Hospital is delighted to present an opportunity for a motivated and dynamic individual to contribute to the development and significant expansion of its high performing service within Elderly Care and Stroke.
Main duties of the job
The successful applicant will join an enthusiastic team of Consultants providing Frailty, Stroke and Orthogeriatric expertise; as well as supporting a dedicated elderly care ward which prides itself on providing high quality care for patients, relatives and carers, front door ED assessment for frailty and AMU support for frailty.
Working for our organisation
George Eliot Hospital is affiliated with the University Of Warwick Medical School. In addition on the main hospital site there is also a first class modern education and conference facility in the George Eliot Training and Education Centre (GETEC), housing an excellent library and state of the art learning support facilities.
There is excellent accommodation nearby with ample leisure facilities and outstanding schools within the area. Birmingham International airport is close by as are the Birmingham and Coventry cities with their excellent shopping and cultural facilities.
We are committed to achieving Equal Opportunities and operate a No Smoking Policy
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The post holder will join an elderly care team offering acute medical services to a catchment population of approximately 250,000. The successful candidate will be well supported working in a friendly, modern and well equipped unit and will be joining a trust with excellent professional and academic facilities.
Applicants should hold full GMC Registration and a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in General (internal) Medicine and Geriatric Medicine or be eligible for entry to the Specialist Register within six months of the AAC date. A commitment to education and training or other evidence of academic achievement will be an advantage. We are also willing to be flexible and will look at options for potential applicants to work full times hours over less than five days.
Our plans are ambitious and we are undergoing an exciting period of transformation in order to achieve our stated aim of excelling at patient care and providing services which make our local communities proud.
Experience and Knowledge
- • Completion or near completion of a Specialist Training programme in Geriatric and General Medicine.
- • Broad clinical experience in care of the elderly and General Internal Medicine.
- • Thorough and detailed knowledge of medical audit, medical education, current clinical and medical best practice
- • Understanding of the Clinical Governance process
- • Understanding of the NHS. Experience outside the specialty.
Qualifications and Professiona
- • Eligibility for inclusion on the Specialist Register in geriatric and general medicine within 6 months of AAC date.
- • MRCP or equivalent.
- • Higher degree. Evidence of sub-specialty or other specific training
Skills and Abilities
- • Ability to lead, communicate, liaise and negotiate with others
- • Ability to advise on efficient and smooth running of specialist service.
- • Ability to supervise, appraise, coach and mentor trainee and other doctors
- • Ability to motivate, innovate and support staff of all disciplines
- • Ability to manage and lead clinical team
- • Competent in basic information technology
- • Awareness of health service reforms and issues across all healthcare economy
- • Undertaken complete audit cycle
- • Ability to demonstrate recent evidence of relevant and continued research
- • Participated in completed clinical research projects
- • Ability to apply research outcomes to clinical practice
- • Published research in peer-reviewed journals
- • Higher degree by research
- • Knowledge of clinical governance issues
- • Interest and awareness of research methodology
- • Understanding of the concepts of management
- • Experience of service development
- • Evidence of continuing research.
- • Ability to form constructive and effective professional relationships with patients and staff. Ability to work in a team. Ability to delegate appropriately.
- • Caring attitude to patients
- • Enquiring, critical approach to work
- • Excellent inter-personal qualities
- • Credible and persuasive presence both amongst clinical and management colleagues
- • Ability to listen and communicate effectively (written, public speaking and presentational)
- • Ability to work collaboratively with the Executive Team
- • Ability to achieve objectives
- • Ability to work within a multi-professional and multi-disciplinary framework
- • Good organisational and leadership skills
- • Ability to motivate and support staff of all disciplines
- • Excellent personal time and management skills
- • Running a service and participation in management process.
- • Ability and willingness to work hours of the job, shifts, on-call with any reasonable adjustment to take account of any local requirement or disability.
- • Ability to teach clinical and practical skills.
- • Ability to design and deliver talks/lectures/workshops effectively
- • Experienced in demonstrating clinical procedures/techniques to other healthcare professionals
- • Commitment to continuing medical education
- • Ability to organise and participate in and evidence of teaching and training undergraduate and postgraduate students
- • Appraisal, assessment and mentoring skills
- • Evidence of interest and ability to educate e.g., teaching experience, supervision of projects, educational qualification
- • Evidence of interest and ability of management.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr James Egbuji
- Job title
- Consultant Physician
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 02476 865628
- Additional information
Should you require any further information or wish to arrange an informal visit please contact:
Dr Winston Crasto (Clinical Director) email@example.com or via Secretary on 024 7686 5329
Dr Martin Sandler (Deputy Medical Director) via firstname.lastname@example.org