Senior Analytical Officer
NHS AfC: Band 8a
NHS England and NHS Improvement came together on 1 April 2019 as a new single organisation. The NHS Long Term Plan focuses on delivering integrated care to patients at the local level and we can best support the NHS to deliver this as a single integrated organisation.
At the NHS, we are reminded every day of how important life is. As a flexible working friendly organisation, we want to be sure that you can work in a way that is best for us and for our patients, and for you. Speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement whether that’s job share, part time or another flexible pattern. In addition, although the role advertised may have an ‘home’ office base indicated, we remain committed to supporting flexibility around workplace locations. If it works for the service, we will do our best to make it work for you.
Our new operating model represents a strong shift to regional delivery supported by expert corporate teams. Local health systems are supported by our integrated regional teams who play a major leadership role in the geographies they manage.
We are jointly committed to creating and maintaining a fair and supportive working environment and culture, where contributions are fully recognised and valued by all and staff feel empowered to carry out their duties to the best of their abilities. As employers we are committed to promoting and protecting the physical and mental health and well-being of all our staff. This underpins our values as set out in the NHS Constitution, supports us to be an Employer of Choice and ultimately enables our employees to support the effective care of our patients.
As a Senior Analytical Officer, the post holder will work as part of a dynamic analytical community supporting managers and staff across all of NHS England and NHS Improvement’s functions. The team supports the operational work of the South West NHSE/I regional team on a wide range of priorities including analysis for elective care, urgent and emergency care, primary care, public health, mental health, digital transformation, Greener NHS, inequalities and emergency response including the response to Covid-19 and the recovery of services. A key area of focus for this postholder will be Long Covid, i.e. the impact of Covid beyond the initial infection. This is particularly relevant with Diabetes, respiratory disease, cardiac conditions.
The Senior Analytical Officer will deliver a high quality data analytics service to NHS England and NHS Improvement’s business teams using a reasonable knowledge of NHS data and business processes, and where relevant, good technical skills in data management, business intelligence and analytics – including data modelling, and data visualisation.
In particular the post holder will:
- Be highly numerate and use a variety of analytical techniques to provide high quality, timely analysis and intelligence relating to key priorities of NHS England and NHS Improvement. These priorities will include assurance and accountability, commissioning, transformation, quality and safety, finance and policy and strategy development.
- Be adaptable when finding analytical solutions to problems, to analyse and triangulate data in innovative ways and present findings clearly to a range of audiences.
- Have good communication skills and be able to work effectively with people with different perspectives to get the most out of stakeholder relationships.
- Support teams to ensure that the portfolio of tasks/projects is planned, managed and delivered effectively.
- Support and inform the targeting of resources, monitoring spends, implementation and evaluation of the tasks/projects by providing high quality support including complex information and analysis, communications and stakeholder management.
- Ensure accurate and open communication and co-ordination with a range of organisations and individuals, researching and drafting correspondence and papers and ensuring the management of specific tasks, lead reporting and analysis across a range of specialties, functions and projects.
- Be a key member of the team as well as supporting effective communication and stakeholder management, both internally and externally.
Fixed-term contract until 31/03/2023 due to project funding.
Please note previous applicants need not apply.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Marcus Albano
- Job title
- Head of Analytics (South West Region)
- Email address