Medical Laboratory Assistant - Hinchingbrooke
We run three busy hospital sites at Peterborough, Huntingdon and Stamford and provide outpatient services in two community hospitals in Ely and Doddington. Our 6,000 staff serve a growing population of 750,000 across North Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire.
Job Title: Medical Laboratory Assistant
Band: Band 2
Reporting to: Head MLA
Accountable to: Departmental Managers
Responsible for: Following policies and procedures for own work area
Location: Main base will be Hinchingbrooke Hospital, but will be expected to
travel between all sites.
Main duties of the job
Receipt and identification of Pathology specimens for Blood Sciences, ensuring the correct identification of samples and request forms.
- Preparation of samples and request forms for processing. To label, store and retrieve samples and request forms in accordance to the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Administrative and clerical tasks to include reception of visitors and general telephone enquiries. Keyboard duties to include: Data input of patient information and the required test requests. The retrieval of patient information from laboratory computer networks. Checking integrity of request data entry.
Provide and receive information on laboratory test requests and results by telephone and direct with clinical staff including quality of test request information received, quality of sample, and advice on test and result availability.
- Sample dispatch to external centres. Printing and distribution of test results. Filing patient request forms numerically.
Working for our organisation
We recognise the need to develop modern working practices to enable our employees to maximise their performance and productivity whilst maintaining a good work life balance and so have adopted an Agile working methodology as outlined within our Agile and Flexible Working Policy.
Agile working options are automatically considered for all roles within the Trust and options are detailed on the Agile Working Matrix attached to this post. Talk to the recruiting manager about what this means in practice for you
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
To ensure a safe and hygienic system of work, including the cleaning of equipment and facilities in accordance with good laboratory practice and the Department’s Code of Practice.
- To undertake training in the techniques required in the various roles appropriate to a Pathology Support Worker.
- Assist with specific tasks as directed by senior staff.
- Under the direction of a supervisor, to provide cover to colleagues absent due to sickness or annual leave.
- Participate in the Trust appraisal system.
For more information, please refer to the Job Description
- 5 GCSE or equivalent
- NVQ 2/3 in laboratory or science dicipline
- Science Related Degree
- Experience of data entry or administrative typing
- Previous experience of working in a NHS setting
- NHS laboratory experience within Specimen Reception (Blood Sciences)
- Experience of data entry on to computer LIMS systems
- Transferrable Skills
- Understanding of medical terminology
- Able to work accurately with attention to detail
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Clare Hay
- Job title
- Blood Sceinces Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01480 416522
If you have problems applying, contact
North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust
- 01480 416741