An opportunity has arisen within the I&PC Finance Team for a band 4 Credit Controller. You will be responsible for meeting individual cash collection and aged debt targets and monthly cash performance target as well as assisting in the achievement of both team and departmental objectives.
Reduce aged debt in line with individual, team and Trust targets. You will be accountable for reducing shortfalls and ensure the dunning and late payer process is followed. You will have the ability to negotiate with customers to resolve outstanding issues and secure payment of overdue debt. You will be responsible for reporting to the the Credit Control Manager information on late payers. Take appropriate actions on unpaid accounts and preparing the legal paperwork for accounts that need to be passed to our external debt collectors.
You will have previous experience of Credit Control and the desire to take on a new challenge and learn new skills. You will possess excellent communication skills and good attention to detail with the ability to multitask. You will be a team player within a busy department and have the ability to work unsupervised and using own initiative.
Main duties of the job
- The postholder will be part of a team of Credit Controllers providing a high quality and efficient credit control service to the Trust for International debt. He/she will play a leading role in the collection of the Trust’s International debt and will ensure that a low debt profile is maintained.
- The postholder must possess excellent communication and organisational skills and be able to work under pressure using his/her own initiative.
- The postholder is responsible for reporting the Trust International debt position, highlighting large or old debt with appropriate narrative and action plan.
- To be responsible for monitoring the Credit Control email account daily and respond to queries promptly.
- To communicate with the Credit Control Manager and other Senior Finance staff to improve procedures and influence the resolution of individual queries.
- To be an advanced user and play a key role in the development, implementation, and training for any new credit control system.
- To ensure objectives set during appraisals and personal development plans are achieved and appropriate training and development requirements are undertaken.
- To cross cover work during periods of colleague absence, ensuring that business as normal is maintained.
- To be aware of and always adhere to Trust Policies.
Working for our organisation
Our staff come from a huge variety of backgrounds, and we all benefit from the wide range of experience they bring to the Trust.
We know that being a good employer is about much more than providing staff benefits. We have developed the Always Values with our staff, patients and families that characterise all that we do and our behaviours with our patients and families and each other.
Our Always Values are that we are:
- Always Welcoming
- Always Helpful
- Always Expert
- Always One Team
Each value is underpinned by behavioural standards and employees will be expected to display these behaviours at all times.
Surveys of our staff and independent assessments all tell us that our staff feel very loyal to the hospital and would recommend it as a place to work. There can be no stronger endorsement of GOSH as an employer, and we hope that either now or in the future we can welcome you to our team.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- To be responsible for the collection of all International debt to ensure that the Trust’s income is maximised. To ensure that all debt managed is kept constantly under review and a low aged debt profile is maintained.
- To assist in the maintenance of the Trust’s cash flow position by understanding the expected cash inflows and their timings.
- To maintain regular contact with your client portfolio, to expedite payment, resolve queries, and be the face of the organisation. This will require a high level of communication skills including diplomacy, negotiation, and a highly professional business manner.
- To be responsible for maintaining regular contact with professionals on any shortfall in payment made by Private Medical Insurers and advise of any future deductions to be made from future advance payments to them and resolve queries.
- To deal with the more complex/sensitive debt. Establishing payment plans taking into account sensitivities and the cultural and economic background of the debtors.
- To be responsible for the regular submission of International debts to the Trust’s Debt Collection Agents. To maintain full records of action taken, deal with queries and agree debtors’ payment arrangements as required.
- To be responsible for identifying debts that are considered uncollectable and to regularly report to the Credit Control Manager debts that are potential write offs.
- To follow set procedures to achieve targets by regularly reviewing progress and resolving queries. Implementing short, medium, and long-term strategies to resolve problems as necessary.
- To report performance against departmental and individual targets via KPIs (including DSO, reduction in bad debt provision and achievement of targets).
- To be aware of weekly, monthly and annual deadlines and to ensure these deadlines are achieved.
- To be responsible for generating statements and reminder letters for all debtors on pre-defined dates and ensuring they are checked and despatched according to laid down procedures. To be responsible for suppressing statements and reminder letters where necessary and ensuring the regular review of those suppressed.
- To be responsible for monitoring deposits on account, identify refunds for processing using the DOA reporting tool, ensuring the Trusts Deposit Returns Policy is adhered to, Anti-Money Laundering regulations are not breached and due diligence checks are made using the Trusts chosen Sanctions Agency. Escalate complex accounts to Senior Management.
- To be responsible for submitting invoices electronically to Private Medical Insurers and ensure they are successfully validated to ensure prompt payment by the insurer and improve cash flow.
- To ensure all billing is received from the International billing team and delivered to clients in a timely manner.
- To ensure accuracy of all requests for Credit Notes and Re-bills prior to authorisation by the Head of Finance & Information.
This job description is intended as an outline of the areas of activity and can be amended in the light of the changing needs of the service and will be reviewed as necessary in conjunction with the post-holder.
Our Always Values
- Our Always Values
Education, Training and Qualifications
- 5 GCSE grade “C” or above or equivalent including English and Maths.
- ICM qualification (NVQ Level 5) or equivalent experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Able to use judgement and experience to analyse debt issues to identify areas requiring investigation.
- High level of communication skills including diplomacy, negotiation, and a highly professional business manner
- Able to present information with clarity, and is aimed at the level of understanding of the reader
- Have a strong sense of quality and customer focus.
Knowledge & Experience
- Minimum of one years’ experience at a senior level within a target driven credit control environment plus two years general credit control experience.
- Face to Face dealing with large complex organisations (embassies)
- Achievement of sustained DSO reduction, understanding the main drivers
- Good working knowledge of the Small Claims Court and other debt collection options.
- Advanced knowledge of PC packages such as Word and Excel
The postholder will have regular contact with vulnerable people and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Catrina Valiandis
- Job title
- Credit Control Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information