Consultant General Paediatrician and Named Doctor for Safeguarding
10 PAs (5 PAs Named Doctor for Safeguarding Children, 5 PAs General Paediatrics)
Consultant in General Paediatrics and Named Doctor for Safeguarding at Great Ormond Street Hospital
This is a 10 PA Post (5 PAs Named Doctor for Safeguarding and 5 PAs General Paediatrics)
We are looking for a dynamic and enthusiastic General Paediatric Consultant and Named Doctor for Safeguarding who will support and join the existing team (of 8 consultants, 6 WTEs) in shaping the future of General Paediatric and Safeguarding services at Great Ormond Street Hospital.
Half of the post will be dedicated to provide a General Paediatric attending service for the hospital, with special attention to supporting the surgical specialties.
The other half of the post will cover the Named Doctor for Safeguarding Children role. This is a great opportunity for someone with a keen interest and experience in Safeguarding Children to further build on the service which has been developed over the past years. The role is strongly supported by the Named Nurse for Safeguarding Children and an experienced team of safeguarding advisors and social workers as well as the General Paediatric team.
You will also be part of a 24/7 safeguarding rota.
This is an exciting time to join the General Paediatric team at GOSH which is rapidly evolving with huge opportunities. Please see job description for greater detail.
You will need to be in possession of a CCT in Paediatrics (or equivalent) and have at least 6 months experience as a Named Doctor for Safeguarding.
Main duties of the job
We are looking for a dedicated and enthusiastic General Paediatrician with a strong Safeguarding background who will take up the role of Named Doctor for Safeguarding Children and support the existing team in providing excellent General Paediatric care for the unique patient population of Great Ormond Street Hospital.
This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic Consultant General Paediatrician to play a key role in shaping the service at Great Ormond Street Hospital. General Paediatrics is still a relatively new specialty at GOSH and we are planning to expand the service towards having a dedicated in-patient ward and junior team.
We wish to appoint a consultant who can act independently and demonstrate collaborative and inclusive styles of working. The successful candidate must be highly skilled at facilitating effective communication between teams and multi-professional staff.
Working for our organisation
GOSH is committed to recruiting the best person for the job, based solely on their ability and individual merit as measured against the criteria for the role; through a process that is fair, open, consistent and free from bias and discrimination.
We are committed to being a diverse and inclusive employer and foster a culture where all staff are valued, respected and acknowledged. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, disability status or length of time spent unemployed.
We particularly welcome applications from BAME communities, people with disabilities and/or long-term health conditions and LGBT+ community members.
We have policies and procedures in place to ensure that all applicants and employees are treated fairly and consistently. We are proud to be accredited as a Disability Confident Employer, a member of Business Disability Forum and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
We have active and Executive supported BAME, LGBT+ and Allies, Disability and Long-Term Health Conditions and Women’s staff networks. Staff networks are employee-led groups formed around interests, issues and a common bond or background. Staff network members create a positive and inclusive work environment at GOSH by actively contributing to the Trust’s mission, values and efforts specific to inclusion. All of our staff networks are open to any employee.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please refer to the Job Description and Person Specification for the detailed and main outlined responsibilities for the role.
The trust encourages flexible working and should you wish to work less than full time it would be possible to reduce the number of General Paediatric PAs subject to discussions.
GOSH Culture and Values
- Always welcoming
- Always helpful
- Always expert
- Always one team
- Knowledge and understanding of diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- Understanding of Diversity and Inclusion challenges in the workplace
- Demonstrable contribution to advancing Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Education, training & qualifications
- GMC specialist registration
- MRCPCH or equivalent
- CCT in Paediatrics or equivalent training and experience
- Higher degree – PhD, MD or equivalent
- Formal teaching qualification
- Management qualification
- Research achievement including grants and publications
Skills & abilities
- High level written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organise and prioritise own workload
- Ability to work under pressure in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Presentation skills
- Understanding and proven ability to apply research findings in a clinical/organisational context
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiating skills
- Ability to work on own initiative within an everchanging environment.
- Able to work as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Clinical leadership skills
- EPLS/ APLS qualified
- Have considerable clinical experience of assessing and examining children and young people as appropriate to the role to include safeguarding and child protection medical assessments, writing of reports and attendance at Strategy Meetings and Child Protection Conferences.
- Level 4 Safeguarding Children Competencies
- Completion of NLS/EPLS/APLS instructor’s course
- Qualified forensic examiner
- Experience in writing reports for court and presenting oral evidence in court
Knowledge and experience
- Extensive experience in General Paediatrics, Neonatal Medicine and Safeguarding
- Experience of teaching students and multi-disciplinary team
- Experience of leading in Clinical Audit cycle
- Awareness of the importance of Clinical Governance through experience of participating and learning from quality or safety improvement projects.
- Previous experience as a named doctor
- Experience of paediatric emergency medicine
- Experience of working in shared care clinics and clinical networks
- Experience of clinical leadership or management
- Published research in peer reviewed journals in relevant area
- Presentation or poster at national/international scientific meetings
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Imke Meyer-Parsonson
- Job title
- Clinical Lead, General Paediatrics
- Telephone number
- Additional information
For further information, please contact Dr Imke Meyer-Parsonson, Clinical Lead, General Paediatrics, on 020 7405 9200, Extension 1291 or 1269, Sian Pincott, Chief of Service on 020 7405 9200, Extension 5170, Tracey Luckett, Chief Nurse via Executive PA on Ext. 0231 or Sophia Varadkar, Deputy Medical Director via Executive PA on Ext.5257 and Michelle Nightingale, Named Nurse via Ext. 5649.
List jobs with Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust in Medical and Dental or all sectors