Specialist Nurse Child Protection
NHS AfC: Band 7
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust cares for the population in Harrogate and the local area as well as across North Yorkshire and Leeds. We also provide children’s services in the North East in County Durham, Darlington, Middlesbrough, Stockton-on-Tees, Gateshead and Sunderland.
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust is one of only two trusts in Yorkshire and Humber to be awarded HSJ’s Top 100 Best Places to Work. We believe that You Matter Most, and this is reflected in our values of Responsible, Respectful and Passionate. So if you’re looking for an interesting and rewarding career in the NHS, where you can make a real difference to patients’ lives, Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust is the place for you.
We have an exciting opportunity for Full Time band 7 Specialist Nurse Child Protection to join the Safeguarding Children Team.
We are looking for individuals who are passionate about safeguarding children and have the skills to carryout cumulative risk assessments of cases at a very high level.
The Specialist Nurses main role is to support the Named Nurse, the Deputy Head of Safeguarding children and the Head of Safeguarding Children to fulfil HDFT responsibilities in order to protect children, staff and the public which is set out in the DOH Working Together to Safeguard Children 2018 document. The Specialist Nurse Child Protection also supports the Named Nurse to meet our quality and governance requirements for CQC and Joint Targeted area inspections.
Main duties of the job
Establish effective working relationships and networks with all professionals and agencies contributing to safeguarding of children and young people.
Using good levels of knowledge of child development, the law and good knowledge about risks identify when there is a need to professionally challenge a decision.
To support the Safeguarding Children's Team in the delivery of safeguarding children training
Provide advice and support to partner agencies, health visitors, school nurses and 0-25 managers.
Provide advice to Health Professionals and Professionals in other agencies about health needs and signpost to the appropriate health provider, referring to Senior members of the Safeguarding Children team as appropriate.
Working for our organisation
At Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust we provide outstanding care to both our patients and our staff. We support staff through benefits, health and wellbeing initiatives and opportunities for personal and professional development.
- An inclusive and supportive culture our Trust encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work and active Staff Networks identify areas for improvement.
- Staff Recognition - as well as regular appraisals, we recognise staff with our Making a Difference, Team of the Month Awards & Colleague Recognition Awards
- Employee Support and wellbeing - we have a comprehensive Employee Assistance Programme, counselling service and fast track physiotherapy service for employees.
- Staff Benefits - We have a range of staff benefits and schemes to support staff health, engagement, wellbeing and inclusion.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Due to Covid restrictions working from home is encouraged however this will be under constant review.
Please see the Job Description and Personal Specification attached.
If you have any questions about this position please do not hesitate to contact us.
HDFT covers a wide footprint area therefore the successful candidate's needs to be willing to travel to other areas on an occasional basis.
The footprint covers:
North Yorkshire, Stockton, Middleborough, Darlington, Durham, Sunderland and Gateshead.
The large footprint is highly conducive to career development.
- NMC Registration.
- 1st level nurse with a degree in a health related subject or equivalent.
- To have attended multi-agency training in Safeguarding Children and related topics.
- Specialist Community Public Health Practitioner (or equivilent experience)/Registered Children’s Nurse.
- Level 3 safeguarding children training.
- Safeguarding Children Extended Level 3 course.
- Safeguarding Children Supervision Skills training.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Julie Potts
- Job title
- Named Nurse Child Protection
- Email address
- Telephone number