Paediatric Staff Nurse - Paediatric Emergency Department
We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic Paediatric Nurse to join our team in delivering excellent, child-centred care.
Frimley Park Hospital’s Paediatric Emergency Department currently sees almost 30,000 children per year between the ages of 0-17 with varying needs ranging from minor injuries and illnesses to trauma and resus.
Main duties of the job
To work as part of a team of nurses, health care assistants and care assistants and be responsible for the assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating of nursing care.
The fast-paced environment of Paediatrics ED means our staff have to be adaptable in adjusting their priorities as patient and department needs change rapidly. We are looking for motivated and flexible nurses that are able to adapt to this ever-changing environment, whilst keeping patient safety and compassion at the forefront of everything they do.
We are extremely proud of both our local and national reputation for delivering a consistently high standard of clinical care which we believe, in part, is due to the focus on the training and development that we offer to our staff. Our Practice Development Sister provides continuous support and in-house training programmes to broaden knowledge in key areas.
Please note: you must have current UK NMC registration to be eligible for this role.
Working for our organisation
Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust provides NHS hospital services for around 900,000 people across Berkshire, Hampshire, Surrey and south Buckinghamshire.
Our three core values, and the behaviours that support them, guide everything we do and set out what we expect of our staff in the way they treat patients, visitors, service users and each other, Committed to Excellence, Working Together and Facing the Future.
We are also proud to host the Defence Medical Group South East at Frimley Park with military surgical, medical and nursing personnel working alongside the hospital's NHS staff providing care to patients in all specialities
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- To liaise with appropriate clinical specialists in relation to individual patient needs e.g. Doctors, health visitor liaison and child and family social workers
- To assist medical staff, ensure that treatments are effective and advise on nursing priorities
- To promote good working relationships with the ambulance service, police and other supporting agencies
- To act as an advocate for child/young person and their family/carers.
- To communicate to colleagues individual need for support (through preceptorship programme)
- To understand how your role within the team and the core group impacts on those you come into contact with, both professional and non-professional.
- To report immediately any accidents to patients or members of staff, also any untoward incidents to the department manager in conjunction with the trusts risk reporting procedures, working with senior staff where possible to ensure that remedial action is taken to prevent re-occurrence.
- Ensure that the trust policy is understood and adhered to with regard to the care and custody of medication especially those covered by the control of drugs act.
- To maintain appropriate levels of resources within the unit and demonstrate an economical use of supplies and resources and prevent waste and misuse.
- To check that departmental equipment is present and in good working order, ensuring it’s cleanliness after use and reporting defects promptly.
- To contribute towards the continuing development of the unit’s philosophy of care.
- Current NMC Registration
- RN Child
- Paediatric Qualified
- Paediatric ED experience
- Ward experience
- ED experience
- Effective communication skills (written and verbal)
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to manage difficult / stressful situations
- Time management and delegation skills
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Laura Salisbury
- Job title
- Paediatric ED Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0300 613 3158
List jobs with Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust in Nursing and Midwifery or all sectors