Consultant Physician in Geriatric Medicine
YC72 Point 00 - YC72 Point 19
George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust opened in 1948 and provides a range of elective, non-elective, surgical, medical, women’s, children’s, diagnostic and therapeutic services to a population of more than 350,000 people.
The hub of the Trust is located on the outskirts of Nuneaton and its services cover a large footprint, including north Warwickshire, south west Leicestershire, and north Coventry. We also provide primary and community services across Coventry, Warwickshire and Leicestershire.
Our vision is "to EXCEL at patient care". If you think you've got what it takes, help us realise this and join #TeamEliot.
GEORGE ELIOT HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
Locum Consultant in Geriatric Medicine
Full Time 10 PA plus on calls
£79,860 - £107,668 Per Annum
Closing date: 31 January 2021
Interview Date: TBC
This post may close early due to high numbers of applications so you are advised to apply promptly.
All correspondence for this vacancy will be sent by email; please check your account regularly including your Junk and SPAM areas.
A great and friendly place to work, so bring your passion, commitment and expertise and enjoy the opportunities to make a difference every day.
Main duties of the job
The Trust is looking to appoint a consultant physician who has a strong background in and a passion for Geriatric medicine. We are looking for an individual with enthusiasm for change and service development as we build the key components of an integrated system of care for frail elderly patients.
The successful applicant will be well supported by the wider GEH Elderly Care team; comprising of two substantive consultants, registrar and middle-grade doctors, clinical nurse specialists and dedicated admin support. There is a commitment to teaching and educationally supervising medical students.
Working for our organisation
George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust provides a range of hospital and community based services to more than 300,000 people across Nuneaton & Bedworth, North Warwickshire, South West Leicestershire and North Coventry. The Trust has a reputation for providing high quality well-structured care in a friendly and supportive environment.
We are committed to achieving Equal Opportunities and operate a No Smoking Policy
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Inpatient care is provided on Bob Jakin, Felix Holt and on AMU as part of the frailty service. In addition to inpatient care, from early 2020 the team will operate from a state of the art frailty assessment unit (FAU) which allows planning to commence upon admission (if the admission can’t be avoided) to mitigate the effects of decomposition by an extended length of stay. This post will further enhance that care and provide opportunities to extend the service and remit.
This post will support the delivery of the current acute frailty service and will provide clinical leadership in the strategic development of the service which will further enhance the care and improve the care provision for frail elderly patients in North Warwickshire.
The post holder will join a substantive multi-disciplinary team and the successful candidate will be well supported working in a friendly, modern and well equipped unit and will be joining a trust with excellent professional and academic facilities. George Eliot Hospital is affiliated with the University of Warwick Medical School. In addition on the main hospital site there is also a first class modern education and conference facility in the George Eliot Training and Education Centre (GETEC), housing an excellent library and state of the art learning support facilities. Please see our job description for further details.
There is excellent accommodation nearby with ample leisure facilities and outstanding schools within the area. Birmingham International airport is close by as are the Birmingham and Coventry cities with their excellent shopping and cultural facilities.
This is a unique opportunity, and the post holder would have the opportunity to work with an innovative, dedicated and dynamic team
Experience & Knowledge
- Completion or near completion of a Specialist Training programme in Geriatric and General Medicine.
- Broad clinical experience in care of the elderly and General Internal Medicine.
- Thorough and detailed knowledge of medical audit, medical education, current clinical and medical best practice
- Understanding of the Clinical Governance process
- Understanding of the NHS. Experience outside the specialty.
Qualification & Training
- Eligibility for inclusion on the Specialist Register in geriatric and general medicine within 6 months of AAC date.
- MRCP or equivalent.
- Higher degree. Evidence of sub-specialty or other specific training
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to lead, communicate, liaise and negotiate with others
- Ability to advice on efficient and smooth running of specialist service.
- Ability to supervise, appraise, coach and mentor trainee and other doctors
- Ability to motivate, innovate and support staff of all disciplines
- Ability to manage and lead clinical team
- Undertaken complete audit cycle
- Participated in completed clinical research projects
- Ability to apply research outcomes to clinical practice
- Knowledge of clinical governance issues
- Interest and awareness of research methodology
- Understanding of the concepts of management
- Experience of service development
- • Ability to form constructive and effective professional relationships with patients and staff. Ability to work in a team. Ability to delegate appropriately.
- Caring attitude to patients
- Enquiring, critical approach to work
- Credible and persuasive presence both amongst clinical and management colleagues
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively (written, public speaking and presentational)
- Ability to work collaboratively with the Executive Team
- Ability to achieve objectives
- Ability to work within a multi-professional and multi-disciplinary framework
- Running a service and participation in management process.
- Ability and willingness to work hours of the job, shifts, on-call with any reasonable adjustment to take account of any local requirement or disability.
- Ability to design and deliver talks/lectures/workshops effectively
- Ability to teach clinical and practical skills.
- Experienced in demonstrating clinical procedures/techniques to other healthcare professionals
- Ability to organise and participate in and evidence of teaching and training undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Appraisal, assessment and mentoring skills
- Evidence of interest and ability to educate e.g., teaching experience, supervision of projects, educational qualification
- Evidence of interest and ability of management.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr James Egbuji
- Job title
- Consultant Physician
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 02476 865628
- Additional information
Should you require any further information or wish to arrange an informal visit please contact:
Dr Winston Crasto (Clinical Director) firstname.lastname@example.org or via Secretary on 024 7686 5329
Dr Martin Sandler (Deputy Medical Director) via email@example.com