Community Support Worker - Rapid Response
NHS AfC: Band 3
We are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic, highly motivated Band 3 Community Support Worker to work within Torbay and South Devon Locality.
You will be joining our specialist team with the aim to visit people living in their own homes, providing support that helps them live with more independence and choice. We provide immediate, short term service over a seven day period available to adults who have an acute physical health crisis or a sudden breakdown in care.
The service aims to support safe discharges from hospital, as well as preventing admission to hospital or to a residential or nursing home.
Duties involved will include provision of personal care, clinical duties where delegated, monitoring the patient’s condition
Unfortunately, in line with the Home Office standards, this post is not eligible for sponsorship.
Main duties of the job
Duties involved will include:
- provision of personal care, clinical duties where delegated, monitoring the patient’s condition
- To enable and / or assist individuals to remain in the community, to be supported and maintained safely in their own homes and thereby enhance the quality of life.
- To carry out the personal tasks which are not the responsibility of a nurse but would normal expect to be undertaken by a member of the service user’s family.
- Collaboration with other support workers and professionals to provide care for the service user
- To provide good quality domiciliary support to the service user in their own home, promoting independence.
- Assess the risk and needs of service user’s in accordance with the care plan.
- The role is very varied as such you will need to liaise with other professionals to ensure the patients are supported in the most appropriate way and provide suggestions to improve support ongoing
Working for our organisation
Why work with us - Our service provides rapid short term intervention up to a maximum of 7 days with the aim of preventing admission to hospital or to residential / nursing home. The services are provided by Support Workers who visit during the day from 7am till 10pm operating on a 7 day rota system, including evenings, weekends and Bank Holidays.
We work in an integrated way with allied health care professionals within the locality, and are a motivated and caring team to both patients and colleagues. I key element of our role is to support discharges from hospital to facilitate an earlier discharge.
Our people are caring, committed, inclusive and focussed on quality. We focus on solutions and people’s strengths. We encourage outside the box thinking and embrace innovation and change wherever it can drive improvement. Therefore, your package with us includes a lot more than just your pay.
Listed are a few of the additional benefits that are available to you as an employee:
- NHS Pension Scheme
- Childcare at our day nursery
- Generous Holiday Entitlement, starting at 27 days a year (for full time workers) plus bank/public holidays
- Staff Discounts
- Career development and training opportunities
- Employee Support - Staff have access to a 24-hour helpline
If you share our values and vision and are passionate about working with people on what matters to them, you could be a real asset to Team Torbay and South Devon. We would love to hear from you!
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Work as a member of a team
- Communicate using a variety of resources – face to face; telephone; email – in a timely manner
- Communicate with service users and their families and friends
- Communicate with other Support Workers; Referral Coordinators; Community Nurses; GP’s and other relevant Health and Social Care professionals
- Take part in team meetings, encouraging effective communication between other staff
The successful applicants will need to have
- Experience in a caring environment in the workplace
- Willing to undertake delegated clinical tasks
- Demonstrate a caring, compassionate and friendly attitude
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A full UK drivers licence with access to own vehicle as you will be required to travel to remote locations
Induction, ongoing training and support will be provided whilst you will be a lone worker within the community, support is available through your team.
Qualifications and training
- NVQ2 level qualification OR equivalent knowledge
- Experience of personal care and/or clinical procedures
- Basic IT Skills – Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel
- NVQ3 or QCF or Diploma Level 3 in Health & Social Care
- Basic Food Hygiene Certificate
Knowledge and experience
- Able to demonstrate a good level of literacy, numeracy, verbal and written skills, including record keeping skills.
- Excellent Interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to assist service users in the activities of daily living whilst promoting independence
- Knowledge/understanding of equipment used to promote independence.
- Ability to carry out safe practice when moving and handling users and equipment
- Understanding of relevant health and safety legislation for moving and handling.
- Experience of working in a caring environment
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of the rights of the Service User
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to working with older adults
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of health and safety and safeguarding issues
- Experience of working in community setting and lone working
- Previous experience of working in a multi disciplinary team
- Experience of updating service users’ plans
- Experience of working within and applying safeguarding adults procedures
- Experience of working with a rehabilitation ethos
- Experience of working with people at end of life
- Have full UK driving licence and access to a vehicle
- Ability to work flexibly including unsocial hours and shift patterns including weekends and Bank Holidays
- Be flexible, adaptable and reliable
- Understand the need for confidentiality
- Demonstrate desire to ‘make a difference ‘ to help people regain their independence
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Lindsey Lovell
- Job title
- Service Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number