Highly Specialist Speech and Language Therapist
We provide healthcare services to people living in Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil and Rhondda Cynon Taf county borough areas, serving a population of around 450,000. We are ideally situated between Wales’s capital city, Porthcawl to the west, and the stunning scenery in the Brecon Beacons.
Our vision is to care for our communities and patients by preventing ill-health, promoting better health, providing excellent services and reducing the need for inpatient care wherever possible through the provision of strengthened home, primary and community care.
We value the diversity of our staff and welcome applications from people from protected groups under the Equality Act 2010, this specifically includes age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/reassignment, race/nationality, religion/belief, disability, pregnancy and maternity and marriage and civil partnership.
Cwm Taf Morgannwg is a Living Wage Employer.
Please check your email account regularly. Successful applicants will receive all recruitment related correspondence via the email account registered on the application form.
All applicants are invited to apply in Welsh or English, and no preference will be given to applications submitted in either language.
Are you passionate about stroke inpatient rehabilitation?
Keen to maintain or develop your leadership skills?
You'd like to be based in a new made to measure rehab facility? Have SLT colleagues on hand for support on site?
You want to be a part of an SLT dept with a robust leadership structure that is genuinely committed to supporting staff well-being and continuous professional development? Then look no further! This is the job for you!
We are looking for a skilled & compassionate SLT who is a natural leader to take on the exciting newly developed role of site lead at Ysbyty Cwm Rhondda. You will demonstrate experience and advanced knowledge in stroke rehabilitation & dysphagia
You will be fortunate to have a team of support staff who will enable you to enhance rehabilitation and patient-centered care at this site. The Stroke MDT at YCR are an established, supportive team. There are also lots of opportunities for growth and development within our SLT department and you will link closely with the acute Stroke and inpatient team at PCH
We have established instrumental swallow clinics locally to enable you to plan and target your dysphagia rehabilitation. There may be an opportunity to join the VFS competency training rotation. We run regular departmental well-being sessions as well as clinical supervision cafes which are highly beneficial to our team
We are a friendly, kind & progressive team who welcome passion, patient-centered initiatives and evidence based practice
Main duties of the job
Come and join us! Dewch i gweithio gyda ni! The ability to speak Welsh is desirable but not essential for this post.
The post holder will function as the site lead for Ysbyty Cwm Rhondda Hospital. They will have responsibility for the coordination and delivery of inpatient services in YCR - predominantly the stroke rehabilitation service, with some additional general medical inpatient cover for the hospital, jointly leading a team of junior SLT and support staff. They will coordinate and liaise with SLT leads in the other localities across the Health Board to deliver and develop health board wide polices and protocols.
The post holder will demonstrate specialist skills and knowledge in stroke rehabilitation as well as having experience of the acute stroke care pathway. They will also possess advanced dysphagia skills to lead the care and delivery of general medical inpatient SLT care. You will have experience in supporting complex discharges and mental capacity assessments. This post holder will demonstrate leadership and operational skills to ensure the smooth running of the service and the highest standards of care are met. You will work closely with our acute stroke team at PCH, our local ESD team and our Outpatient and Community SLT staff in ensuring smooth transition of patient care across the service pathway.
NB: IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A FULL TIME POST PLEASE GET IN TOUCH AS THERE IS THE OPTION TO ADD AN ADDITIONAL OP/COMMUNITY NEURO DAY TO THIS POST AT YCR
Working for our organisation
Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board is part of the NHS Wales family. Our Health Board provides primary, secondary and community health and wellbeing services to around 450,000 people living in three County Boroughs: Bridgend Merthyr Tydfil, and Rhondda Cynon Taf.
We live by our core values:
- We listen, learn and improve
- We treat everyone with respect
- We all work together as one team
We are a proud local employer; around 80% of our 15000 workforce live within our region, making our staff not only our lifeblood of our organisation but of the diverse communities that we serve.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The ability to speak Welsh is desirable for this post; Welsh and/or English speakers are equally welcome to apply.
You will be able to find a full Job description and Person Specification attached within the supporting documents or please click “Apply now” to view in Trac.
Qualifications and /or knowledge
- Speech and Language Therapy Degree
- Member of HCPC
- Postgraduate dysphagia training
- Postgraduate training in relevant area to master’s level or equivalent. Or willingness to achieve this.
- Knowledge of specific assessment/treatment tools for stroke patients
- Research methodology/ clinical audit training
- Understanding of Local and National Stroke Policies and relevant political drivers.
- Research methodology/ clinical audit training
- Specific experience in dealing with adults with acquired communication/swallowing difficulties as a result of stroke.
- Significant experience of working within the acute community or outpatient environment.
- Experience of MDT working
- Developing and planning service developments and policies.
- Delivering training programmes.
- Experience of working in a stroke rehabilitation environment
- Supervision of less experienced staff.
- Experience of providing second opinions.
- Experience of working within the acute hospital environment
Aptitude and Abilities
- To have an ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Skills in analysing and communicating highly complex assessment information.
- Excellent and sensitive interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as SALT/MDT team member and readiness to assume leadership responsibilities.
- Ability to lead on projects.
- Ability to speak Welsh
- Willingness to carry out research
- Experience of teaching/training others.
- Treat patients and colleagues with dignity and respect
- Resilience to emotionally demanding situations
- Team Player
- Flexible and adaptable to meet the needs of the service.
- Satisfactory DBS Check
- Able to travel across multiple locations
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Welsh language skills are desirable
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Sali Curtis
- Job title
- Head of Adult SLT
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01656 752143